Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Never-ending Stories - childrens' stories in audio





Lesley:


I have successfully written and recorded a number of children’s stories in audio format. However recently. I am a qualified teacher.  I have cerebral palsy which limits my scope and in a sense I want to pass the stories on to let others know of their existence.

The stories are about 20 minutes long with a comprehension section and the end of each story. Children are bombarded with visual imagery and often forget how to think for themselves. The stories are aimed at improving vocabulary, building imagination and enhancing comprehension.

It can be used as a classroom tool as well as for individual use.  The stories have been purchased by speech and occupational therapists and schools.  Listening forms an integral part of reading and these stories allow children to listen and play at the same time. 

In some of the stories there are activities that can be done with the parent and form an extension of the story itself and also help the child draw from their own experience.  Developing a love for books and stories allows children to share with others and explore their emotions safely. Sometimes being able to identify within a character makes it easier to cope with their situations in their own lives.

I strongly believe in the stories and I feel that they could be beneficial to all learners. I have had several families with autistic children purchase the CDs. I have had positive feedback from both occupational and speech therapists who have evaluated the CD s. 

I would like in my small way to make a contribution and pass my work on. The stories have been used The Read organisation in the U.K and the Starship Foundation in New Zealand. I have also contributed my work to the Tape Aids for the blind here in South Africa. How would I go about advertising on your site? Or perhaps mention the stories in a newsletter? I have a Facebook page that perhaps I can share on your wall?  I am more than aware how important it is for children with cerebral palsy to be made aware that they are able to succeed in life. One of the stories is on a website; www.storybookonline.net. here is the link with the audio and printed version.http://www.storybookonline.net/article.aspx?Article=HarriettheHippo

You can read a bit more about me on www.teacher.org.za  here is the link


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...