Thursday, January 5, 2012

Why autism awareness is so important.....

A. is a parent in our Facebook group. She shared this story and kindly agreed that I could post it here. Children with autism grow up to be adults with autism. We have a lot of work to do!





"My husband was telling me about going out last night.  He went to a pub to listen to some trad music and this young guy came in (about 18-20) and was dancing quite oddly to the music. The band got annoyed at him and was saying that he was on drugs. My husband could clearly see that the boy had autism and was just enjoying the music in the same manner as our son would, almost like he was stimming. Husband told them that it was okay that he wasn't on drugs but to leave him be as he was harming no one. He also mentioned that it may do more harm to the boy than if they leave him be. NO. They had him thrown out. My husband argued that it was wrong, left and will not return. 


People know autism is out there but wouldn't recognize it if it bit them! My heart went out to that poor boy. It just made us think of what discrimination or ignorance our son will run into in his life."



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...