Thursday, January 18, 2007

Different is not the Same

After writing about the changes to the OAK ILS RWY 27R, an approach I fly frequently, I started to apply my Jepp updates this morning. After getting all the new charts inserted in the binder, I turned to retrieve the new ILS 27R chart. I like to keep frequently used charts in plastic protectors and store them in my kneeboard. So imagine my surprise when I found this chart had the same date and version as the old one.

With very little time before I had to be on the road to the airport, I visited Jeppesen's web site to get a customer support phone number. They don't make it easy, but eventually I found the correct number. I dialed it and sat on hold for a few minutes. Then I decided to see if there was an email address. I finally found it and sent a message asking why this particular approach plate seemed to be the old version. After teaching a G1000 checkout flight, I came back to find an email message from Jepp.
Hello John,

The NACO chart is incorrect due to the procedure changes being postponed by the FAA and NACO not receiving notification of the postponement.

An FDC NOTAM is being written at this moment. The KOAK ILS or LOC/DME Rwy 27R is NA at this time.

I thank you for writing as your attention to this lead us to investigate and as a result the FAA is responding quickly.

We also thank you for using our products.

And over my morning espresso, I read a Reuters article entitled Boeing says new 747 interior frees travelers to fly that included this statement:
"We discovered that today people in many cases just like to numb themselves to the experience (of flying)," said Klaus Brauer, Boeing's director of passenger satisfaction and revenue at a demonstration of the plane's new interior.

"We are trying to get deeper than things people can articulate."


Whatever that means ...

Lastly, I finally got time to view the old, government training film on flying the F4U Corsair that I had first read about over at Land and Hold Short. Check it out!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...