Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Human Matter

I have a habit of talking to my dogs in complete sentences and even though I don't believe my dogs actually understand every word I say, it's a practice I've continued with our two latest Basenji, Taz and Rio. When I need to, say, use power tools and they are inquisitive, I explain that what I'm doing is a human matter, not a canine concern. Based on their behavior, they seem to understand at least a few of my words or perhaps they understand based on the tone of my voice or my posture. In any event, they usually leave and go about their canine business while I attend to human matters. We humans have a tradition of helping others in need and that is the human matter on my mind today.

If you've been involved in general aviation in the San Francisco Bay Area, you've probably met or have heard of Gi Hak Bae. Gi (pronounced "Gee") has worked for years as flight instructor. Gi is not only a knowledgeable, skillful, and successful teacher, his thoughtful and patient approach has provided a role model for other pilots and instructors. The trite expressions "actions speak louder than words" and "do unto others?" That's how Gi conducts himself, in and outside of aviation. Gi walks his talk.

Such subtleties are often lost, on Americans in particular, so I'll offer just one example. Preparing to depart Hayward one day with a student, I noticed that Gi was about to do the same in an aircraft just across the row. The procedure at Hayward is to pull light aircraft out of their parking spaces into the taxi lane by hand, then perform the engine start. I was about to suggest to my student that we wait for Gi, since he and his student had been there first' when I noticed that Gi had already seen the conflict and had found a solution. Instead of rushing to be the first to pull out their aircraft, Gi and his student were pushing their plane backward through an empty parking spot into an adjacent taxi lane. Problem solved, no rushing, no pushing or shoving, no "Me first!"

Gi was recently diagnosed with a pancreatic tumor and like many self-employed pilots and flight instructors, he doesn't have health insurance. To make matters worse, Gi's illness has forced him to stop working. After giving so much to general aviation, Gi needs our help.

California Airways will be hosting a fund raising gathering on Saturday, February 27 from 11:00-2:00 to help defray some of Gi's medical bills. If you're a Bay Area pilot, please stop by. You can enjoy a burger or have some chicken while visiting with other pilots and friends whose lives Gi has touched. If you can't make the fundraiser, consider sending a check to Gi Hak Bae, in care of California Airways, 22693 Hesperian Blvd, #220, Hayward, CA 94541.

This is definitely a human matter.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...