Thursday, January 22, 2009

When Art Meets Digital

As Art Director, it’s always very exciting for me when I finally pick up a finished, printed book from one of the newly arrived cartons sitting on the Annick office floor. A few weeks ago I cracked open A World Full of Ghosts written by Charis Cotter and illustrated by Marc Mongeau. This one was especially exciting because all the art had been digitally created. What that means is that up until that moment I had only seen the illustrations on my computer monitor. Marc Mongeau, who lives in Montreal, is a fabulous artist and for this book, all the art was digitally manipulated; no traditional painting exists. Creating this way allowed Marc to achieve some outstanding “ghostly” effects. The ghost stories come from all around the world, so he also had to capture a sense of their cultural background. I don’t think it’s exaggerating to say that his art is stunning and well worth seeing. I hope we get a chance to work with Marc again soon.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...